Indoor Electrical Safety

Electricity is such an integral part of our daily lives that we occasionally take it and its hidden dangers for granted. Safety is our number one priority, just as it is yours. Following these tips can help keep you and your loved ones safe and secure.

Water and electricity don't mix. Together, they can form a deadly combination.

  • Keep water away from electricity and electrical appliances.
  • Never use electrical appliances while standing in water.
  • Always make sure your hands are dry when using an electrical appliance.
  • Never use appliances while near water or outside when it's wet or raining.

Use electrical cords wisely.

  • Repair or replace cords that are frayed or cracked.
  • Always remove a cord from the outlet by pulling on the plug rather than the cord itself.
  • Extension cords are only for temporary use. Prolonged use of extension cords can cause overheating and fire.
  • Cords should never be nailed or stapled to a wall, baseboard or any other object.
  • Cords should not have any furniture resting on them or be placed under a carpet or rug.
  • Do not leave a cord where it can be stepped or tripped on.
  • Never remove the third prong from a three-pronged plug. The third prong grounds electricity and are there for safety. If you don't have a three-hole outlet, adapters are available at your local hardware store or home supply center.

Stay safe throughout your home.

  • Always install light bulbs that are the correct wattage for your lamps and fixtures.
  • Cover unused wall outlets with plastic safety caps to protect your children and pets.
  • Never overload outlets by using multiple plug-in adapters or power strips.
  • Install ground fault circuit interrupters (GFCIs). These special outlets prevent electric shock by detecting faults and shutting off electricity to the outlet when necessary. They are especially important in kitchens, bathrooms, and other places where water is present.